Korean cuisine has been taking over the food world from kimchi to Korean BBQ, people going crazy after all the different varieties from banchans (side dishes) to somaek (soju beer mix).
Since the temperature has no sign of declining in LA, we decided it's time for a summer cocktail that's cool & refreshing. Watermelon soju is a popular item among Korean restaurants' menu since it is easy to make, but feels like you put in more effort when you use the watermelon as the container.
Add The Coasters and The Slice to your kitchen.
Makes 2 - 4 servings
Prep time - 15 mins
- 1 Small size watermelon
- 1 Bottle of soju
- 1 Cup of ice
- 1 Bottle of Sprite
- Cut a thin flat surface on the bottom of the watermelon so the watermelon can stand on its own
- Cut off the top of the watermelon, depending on the size, about 1.5 inches deep (to reach the flesh)
- Scoop out the flesh into the blender and set the watermelon bowl aside
- Blend the flesh
- Strain the mixture with a strainer in a large bowl to take out pulp and foam for smoother texture
- Pour soju and Sprite into the strained mixture and mix well
- Pour the cocktail back to the watermelon bowl
- Serve with decorations (optional) and some ice on top if you want
- Voila! It's time to drink up!